NEW CLASS: Intro to Coding
Helping kids (boys and girls) 7 to 12 years old to learn the fundamentals of programming in a creative and fun environment.
- Have fun.
- Understand fundamental programming concepts like algorithms, repeat loops, conditional logic, and variables.
- Use creativity and computational thinking to make games and solve challenging puzzles.
- Develop self-directed learning skills in a supportive and inclusive environment.
- Short lesson and/or demonstration
- Self-directed coding & learning w/ support from mentors
- Fun activities & challenges
- Opportunities to share with and learn from others
- Mindfulness breaks
Some topics include:
- Algorithmic Thinking are the steps required to solve a problem or complete a task.
- Repeat Loops allow us to repeat certain repetitive tasks using less code.
- Debugging means going through code step by step to find bugs and squash them.
- Conditional Logic tells the computer to run certain bits of code only if a certain condition is true.
- Variables are values that can change, and they help make games more fun and apps more useful.
Ryan is a self-taught tech expert and has been teaching for the past 15 years at home and abroad. Since 2012, he has been providing tech support and training to residents and small businesses in the Ottawa-Gatineau region, and most recently has shifted his focus to teaching children the fundamentals of coding and computational thinking. Ryan has a Bachelor of Social Sciences (B.Soc.Sci., specializing in Psychology) and he speaks four languages, including Mandarin Chinese. In his spare time, Ryan works with several nonprofit organizations, plays all kinds of sports, and goes on long hikes with his faithful dog Darwin.
Jonathan is a father of three kids who have inspired him to get more involved in kids’ education after seeing the huge gap between the public education system and the skills required by the fastest-growing organizations. He has spent the past 15 years in Ottawa’s tech sector working in Fortune 500 companies like IBM to startups including Klipfolio. Jon has a Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) with a specialization in Innovation and a Bachelor of Commerce (B.Comm) with a specialization in Marketing and Information Systems. In his spare time, Jon sits on several boards, coaches hockey and loves exploring Ottawa’s great outdoors.